Friday, September 05, 2014

Goodnight, Joan

So Joan Rivers died doing what she loved - having an operation.
Too soon? Not to the memory of the trailblazer who laughed at everything, first of all herself.

I confess to having been on vigil ever since I heard about her medical emergency hoping she would pull through because she is a survivor and she just wasn't done yet. Joan Rivers has been on TV since I can remember, and her presence and biting wit said it was okay to be a misfit - and fuck em if they can't take a joke.
I wasn't alone - my internet feeds have exploded with tributes and personal anecdotes and stories from friends about the wicked queen of insult comedy's kindheartedness and often silent philanthropy. The gay world is in mourning for our naughty no-holds-barred grandma.
Yes, Joan Rivers is gone but so much of her remains with us... and if it's true that she's donated her body to Tupperware, I can still take her to lunch!

No comments: