Saturday, July 07, 2012

Farewell

Thinking today of my friend Peter Cross who died on Thursday in Sydney. Peter was also Executive Producer on a couple of my films, so I've lost a friend and someone who helped make my dreams come true. He had been suffering from multiple iterations of cancer for years.

He knew it was terminal, and before I left for my trip to the States I went to say goodbye. It was difficult to see him sitting so frail and in so much pain, and to face that finality, "This is probably the last time I'll see you..." I'm especially now thinking of his partner, our dear friend Richard, who looked after him so lovingly.

Tonight, I'm going dancing with my friend Margret. She inspired the story for Violet Tendencies, and played the fag hag in the opening scene. Last year, Margret lost her boy Gavin to SIDS on Christmas Day. I will never forget to think of her each Christmas, as I know what a heartbreaking day that will always remain for her family. Margret made me promise that when I was next in New York I'd take her dancing. Tonight, we're going out and celebrating life. I'll take a twirl for Peter while we're at it.



4 comments:

elisa-rolle said...

Jesse, I lost my father to terminal cancer when I was 18 years old. When he was diagnosed they told him he had up to 4 months to live and instead he went through pain and fihgts for more than 3 years. I think he didn't want to leave us, me and my brother and my mother since WE were not ready. I still remember that last day, he was at home, and I was near his bed; more than 1 day I stayed by his side without leaving, and when no one was in the room, I told him, please don't leave me. I was selfish, my father was really in pain, but I didn't want to let him go. In the end they manage to convince me to take a shower, and I left the room. And he died. I wasn't gone for more than 15 minutes and he died. I'm still convinced he didn't want to die with me in the room, or maybe he was listening to my words, and he wasn't letting go for me. Now I realize I was selfish, and that, at one point, it's kinder to give up. Only think that your friend is no hurting, and that he will always look upon you and his partner, only that now he is doing so without pain.

Jesse Archer said...

Thanks for sharing, Elisa. Beautifully said.
I'm very sorry you lost your father so young.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jesse, thank you for your kind thoughts about Peter. You and your inappropriate cart-wheels will be sadly missed at his service tomorrow - but I have laid on sherry for Bam at the drinks party afterwards! Much love, Richard

Jesse Archer said...

Wish I could be there with you, Richard. To express my condolences and cartwheels...