Saturday, November 12, 2011

Photos: Occupy Wall Street Prepares for Winter

It's like Burning Man - without the dust. Radical self-expression is still self-expression, even if you have the same complaint. OWS is not huge, but it's representative of something huge.

Down at the park, I overheard one woman telling an occupant what he needed to do differently to be a more effective activist. They got into an argument with him telling her he'd do things his way, and she could do things her way, and that together they will enact change. 

Needless to say, there's a lot of cat-skinning going on.
Funny to see other agendas attempting to use OWS hype to fuel their own causes. Free Tibet (above)
I like this attitude above: This is not a protest, this is an AFFIRMATION of the vitality and idealism underneath the present American nightmare. The Whitman quote, "I contain multitudes... Do I contradict myself? Then I contradict myself" reminds me of a piece from Emerson's Self-Reliance:

"Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. - Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood." To be great is to be misunderstood.  Maybe OWS is misunderstood as it doesn't seem to elicit any single definable demands or goal, but may it speak with hard words today and hard words tomorrow!

Check this front page story from the Huffington Post on the beginnings of the movement: "re-awakening the radical imagination" (or is that the great slumbering giant?)

Nearby, 1 World Trade Center crawls out of the ashes...

2 comments:

elisa-rolle said...

love the last picture. I took one similar just one month ago:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=271410206226402&l=95b376f59b

I managed to have the plain building on the right to end at the top of the picture frame...

Anonymous said...

Jesse,
Did you happen to hear Bill Cosby's statement regarding the state of the nation. Although I agree with some of the OWS goals, mainly higher taxes on the wealthy and more reasonable government regulations, in the final analysis,I must agree with Bill Cosby.
Your friend, Jimmy