Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Do you ever feel a little bit retarded?

I do.  Like when I keep bumping into people when I walk down the sidewalk.  Whack!  What is wrong with me? How about that guy I see in the swimming pool - gasping for air, limbs frenetic - and he's not drowning, that's his actual stroke.  Form, it's a four letter word!  Or that spider spinning its intricate web in a disinfected closet corner that makes you want to say: Listen up, Charlotte: Ain't no insects to catch in there. You are a retarded spider. 

I can't rejoice at the killing of Osama Bin Laden.  Though I hope there is resolution for 9/11 families, I hope that resolution came in other ways.  The death of the world's most infamous terrorist doesn't fill me with any emotion resembling joy, retribution, vengeance, victory, vindication. And I was there on that day. 

When I see Americans celebrating in the streets, I recall muslims celebrating in their streets ten years ago as I watched those towers fall.  In either case, I don't see any winning going on.  Instead, I see human life treated as a rival football scoreboard and I find it sad.  All of it.  More than anything, sad.

I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, nor a pacifist. I don't even believe (though I wish) the pen is mightier than the bloodthirsty sword.  Bin Laden is (and should be) dead, but this quote from Martin Luther King, Jr. sums up my thoughts:

Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. Returning violence for violence multiples violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.

Deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars! 

The best thing, IMO, about Obama killing Osama is that it deflected attention from the reprehensible public relations stunt being perpetrated by the corporation known as the Catholic church: declaring Pope John Paul II a saint.  Here is a man (= no saint) who recklessly spread the plague of AIDS by refusing to condone the use of contraception/condoms; who refused to ordain women and minimized his church's (rampant, relentless) pederasty scandals - yep, his putrid corpse rots beatifically!

Perhaps it's not the spider.  Or the swimmer - or you.  Maybe it's the world that is retarded?  Eyes that open to see might not match up or mesh with the masses, team, or "flock". And so they will call you a blasphemer, a traitor, a fool. Be misunderstood!  People in Australia walk on the left side of the sidewalk, and I don't.  That spider in the disinfected, insect-free closet could be trying vegetarianism, licking Lysol and loving it. 

Prior to the theory of evolution, scientists thought that aberrations in nature were just that: Aberrations.  They never concluded it could be nature trying something new, testing the potential of a better trait. A lone pink fruit in a tree full of yellow fruits was just a fluke. Until Wallace and Darwin noticed maybe that lone pink fruit was nature striving for improvement; that it was more attractive or tastier to birds which would spread its seed and ultimately improve its survival; that it might learn to exceed its previous realm and grasp and success.

Maybe your brand, retarded as it may feel, is the illuminating adaptation our dark nature breathlessly awaits.  









7 comments:

Auntie M said...

I'm with you 100%, Babe. Thumbs up. We need more thumbs.

Christine said...

You know what, Jesse? Thinking about this article makes me feel retarded. I am a Roman Catholic – the product of 12 years of Catholic School, I’m fairly intelligent, fairly educated. Why is it I get my news from Jesse on the Brink? I didn’t know about Pope John Paul’s canonization. I heard it from you and it’s now a fact. Did I cross check? Nope. Jesse said so, good enough for me. Probably makes me retarded, right? Tell me, please, because I just don’t know.

Jesse Archer said...

christine you are hilarious. Jesseonthebrink as a news source is a bit dodgy! Turns out he's "one step closer to sainthood" http://www.news.com.au/world/pope-benedict-xvi-declares-john-paul-ii-blessed/story-e6frfkyi-1226047915570
All he needs is another "confirmed miracle" (can you see my eyes rolling?) ;)
xoxo
jesse

Christine said...

Oh God….you’re trying to force me to cross check? I don’t have time for this crap. I know how to Google, darling, I’m not that retarded. If I cared enough I would have already known, don’t you think? I guess I should say I’m a non-practicing, disinterested Roman Catholic.

ps – oy mate - you using the word “dodgy”, is a bit, um, dodgy. I’m going to go over there and pull you back to NY by your ear if you continue using that British-Aussie crap. xoxo

Jesse Archer said...

Have I become one of those people? I didn't realize. Next thing you know I'll be spelling realize with an S!

Christine said...

I have nerve really! I was in England for a month and all of a sudden I was Madonna, I mean Madge.....a pure Anglofile, spelling check with a "que" and realising that day/month/year makes chronological sense ;-)

Bob Frank said...

I don't believe in taking joy at the death of a human being (or any living being for that matter). Bin Laden was deluded and his delusions caused a lot of suffering, so I'm glad he cannot use his charisma and clout to create more suffering.

Pope John Paul was also deluded, and his delusions also caused suffering. He gets nominated for sainthood, though.