Friday, December 24, 2010

The Melody That Saves You

Backstage at an Italian opera, I'm about to go onstage and besides having a vague feeling that I actually murdered someone earlier in the night, I don't know the solo I'm about to sing, let alone the libretto!  I don't even speak Italian, AND I can't sing.

I implore my father to help me learn the lyrics, and though he's helping me the time is now.  The audience awaits my entrance as the chorus begins my intro. I race up to the balcony, in hiding, as I begin my warbling in sketchy Italian and then, mercifully, I wake up.

And it's Christmas!  Hot damn.  Merry Christmas!

Or is it?  Does it feel more like survival than celebration?  Maybe you've been depressed, unemployed, are in unbearable pain, or have lost a loved one.  And still this time of year you feel paraded onstage for all and sundry to stare and gawk as you attempt to sing opera in a language you don't understand with a singing voice made for the shower.  In other words, all the holiday cheer; all the holly-jolly jingles put upon you at the mall, in the car, on the television - it all feels insultingly phony.

But you don't say anything because you don't want to be that kind of a downer.  

So I dedicate this Christmas to those who have had a rough year, with a holiday song free of the faux bells and whistles.

George Michael must be my favorite male vocalist of all time.  And when he can trim his excess and stay awake at the wheel just long enough, the man will haunt you with his magic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"This video contains content from Vevo, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that"

oy- you really did move to the other end of the world ;)

D-Chan said...

Thank you so much for this song and for being so thoughful, really !
Sometimes it's hard to put on someone's wall "Merry Christmas" when you know what horrors happened to that person ...
You're an angel and that's why I love you so much !
Hugs and love

D-Chan