Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Bam in the USA!

I just finished Andrew Holleran's Dancer from the Dance (from the jury box, no less) and quickly flipped back to page one to experience it all over again.  Wow.  Just wow.  This has nothing to do with the blase court proceedings, but everything to do with the quality of the writing.  I feel like if I can't write like this, devastating and impactful, I have no business writing anything at all!

One excerpt from my over-underlined copy:

"Dreams decompose, darling," he said.  "Like anything else.  And they give off gases, some of which are poisonous and all of which are unpleasant, and so one goes away from the place in which the dreams were dreamed, and are now composing before your very eyes.  Otherwise, you might die, dear, of monoxide poisoning.  Tant pis."

Oh and PS. To whomever has the film rights: I'm gagging to play Sutherland.  My face seats five!  Can't wait to re-live this book.  And to prove that not all dreams decompose, there is good news from Bam Bam who not only got a new job but who just passed his citizenship exam.  He is now, or at least after his swearing-in ceremony will be, a bonafide American!

Reading test to be a US citizen: "Who was George Washington?"
Writing test to be a US citizen: "George Washington was the first President of the United States."

Can you believe he passed??

Oh, and a huge congratulations to friends Catherine and Allison, the sister singing duo The Pierces on signing a new record deal with Polydor UK!!!  Woo hoo!!  Playing dress up with Allison Pierce in the Hamptons some time ago.

 Check out this fantastic video of theirs, Sticks & Stones:

 


They're also in negotiations to have one of their hits to be the theme song of a new television show....which is, of course, a songwriters wet (decomposition-free) dream!!

5 comments:

Auntie M said...

Congratulations, Mr. Bamford! Don't lose your accent, though.

carms said...

hey jesse,
congrats to bam bam! i know how amazing it was for me to become australian... i didn't think i would get emotional but at the actual ceremony I ended up crying. lol! it was something that meant so much to me...great day for sure...
and also i really like the song and clip that your friends did! very clever! and what beautiful girls!
xo
c

Tony said...

Hey Jesse -

Congratulations to Bam Bam on his new job and passing his US Citizenship exam. Despite the test's "basic" nature, he probably now knows more than the average US High School student.

Are the Pierces really vampires? Maybe they just wanted that cool car.

Sancho said...

Jesse,

Congrats to Bam! I have a friend who recently also became a citizen and I know it meant a lot to him that even though he had been living here so long he was OFFICIALLY an American citizen.

Also, you would make an AMAZING Sutherland! After reading "Dancer" for the first time I always wanted Sutherland as my best friend. =)

Anonymous said...

I am not much into music videos as frankly I don't get the point of most of them. This one, however was worth watching several times. First, I liked the music, second, the fact that they were sisters intrigued me, but lastly, was the vampire scene. (or was it my horror-loving evil mind?)

I assume the person bound up in the trunk was their fresh, living "meal" before interring the corpse with a shovel full of dirt into the face. It seems our country is deluged by "vampiromania". Movies, TV, books, gay literature, cartoons and now, even music?

movienut