Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Aspiring Novelist?

My friend turned me onto this site--we're only days away---called NANOWRIMO. It's National Novel Writing Month! It begins November 1, and the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel by the end of the month. With a ton of other people from around the world who are doing the same thing! Who wants to write a novel?

From their homepage:

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.

Apparently, they do it every year and every year it grows. It's totally free. From my personal experience I've found publishing a novel was not lucrative, but I do need a new creative project. What do I have to lose? So I consider....their goal works out to just over 2,000 words a day which is - if you don't know word count -- a bit more than double the length of my columns in OUT. Per day. Hmm. What would I write? Why would I write it? Dayum, I need a sponsor.

Or a kick in the pants.



3 comments:

Auntie M said...

Why? Practice, practice, practice? Nothing better to do? Alexander McCall Smith writes a fiction column for the Scotsman that are then published as novels. 1000 words a day.

What? Write what you know... Gay romance with background? Burning Man? Tiny town in the west? South America? Australia?

Come on, all Friends of Jesse. Poke that "Make a Donation" button.

xxx

jfreeman said...

my goal is to finish writing my 120,000 word novel in less than 12 years. a month? pashaw!

elisa-rolle said...

NaNoWriMo is one of the most followed event on LiveJournal, where I have my blog. Proably 50% of the more than 600 people in my friend list was part of it one year or the other and I know a lot of person who won.

Why don't you write a fanfiction based on one of your movie? You can do a fanfiction of Boy Culture, or even a fanfiction of your same works, like A Four Letter Word. I think people will like it.

Gay Romance is the last trend if you ask me, I have more than 1.000 visit per day, and Gay Romance is my main tag.

Elisa