Monday, June 01, 2009

Scenesters on the sand!

Pensacola: it's a panhandle world. One where gays and lesbians mingle peaceably! After a rainy start to the long Memorial weekend, it was really sunny on Sunday.

I spent most of the afternoon in a gigantic raft, out on in the breakers, with about 15 strangers all hanging on for our lives against the crashing waves. We really thought we were pirates, saving one another from the high seas. It was the most fun I've had in a LONG time.

Before and after that, I managed to capture some photos of the crowd along the beach. The most interesting part, sociologically, was observing lesbians in their natural habitat.
Land Lubber
These three lady-couples, in action. Their mating habits were a treasure to behold.
These two used the natural environment to create seats! When I complimented them on their industrious creation of the sand burm chaise-lounge, they said, "We'll make you one!"
Black Wendy is serving it up! She promised us each a 99 cent Frosty.
Here we are devouring Black Wendy. She was a fan favorite.
Tim and Brent - surf's up!
This bootylicious boy, Cornelius, showed us his moves all day until he attempted a back tuck...and was rushed to the hospital with a broken foot.
Tim, Cooldan, Bam, Brent, Jesse. It appears this pose was the only one in my arsenal that day.
Shake your hips for Cooldan!
Hey, Southern Belle!

We had an after party at this guys rental, and when he brought out the watermelon I was like..."A black man and watermelon? That's like...racist!" He was an excellent sport.
The only architecture of note...

3 comments:

stephen said...

Did you know that Pensacola has the whitest sand on the gulf coast? We used to go there for Aunt Hatties Day awards weekend ( memorial day weekend) when I was 18.... 1973..it was packed with thousands of gay men. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Opps... I stand corrected.. it was called the "Emma Jones Convention" on Memorial Day Weekend in Pensacola (1973) not Aunt Hatties Day Awards...

Me Again, Stephen

Kris said...

Hello.

I found you and your site/blog through your Grandma Must Die article. It was one of those pieces that made me cock my head to the side and let out a thoughtful "huh."

Suffice to say, I liked it. I posted it on my blog as well, for others to read. So, if you see a tiny influx of traffic coming from LiveJournal, that's why.

Coincidentally, I also happen to live and work in Pensacola. So, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the one or two days that were good enough to go out. Perhaps next year the weather will be better.