Saturday, June 06, 2009

Anyone for a glass of Cocaine Wine?

What ails ya? Bam Bam's employer is progressive enough to offer health insurance to "domestic partners" (is that what I am?) so after many years....YAY, I've got health insurance! Right?

But have you ever tried to find a doctor in NY? The ones who are covered under the plan are "not taking any new patients" and the others don't take this particular insurance. Health care in this country is a cluster-fuck! I just want a case of cock-a-doody Ambien, for heaven sake.

Maybe also some ritalin and a blood test and a clean bill of health. If only things were simplified, like back in the good old days. In 1885, I wouldn't have to have health insurance to see a doctor.

Or a prescription to pick up these pharmaceutical tonics!

A bottle of Bayer's heroin! Between 1890 and 1910 heroin was sold as a non-addictive substitute for morphine. It was also used to treat children with strong cough.
Metcalf's Coca Wine was one of a huge variety of wines with cocaine on the market.
Mariani wine (1875) was the most famous Coca wine of it's time. Pope Leo XIII used to carry one bottle with him all the time. He awarded its manufacturer, Angelo Mariani, a Vatican gold medal.
Very popular for children in 1885. Not only did they feel no pain, they couldn't wait to do chores!

2 comments:

elisa-rolle said...

You tell me? In Italy we have to give almost 50% of our salary to state Healthcare and Pension, but you "at least" have free healthcare... yeah! I have a nodule in my throat. To determine it was not serious, I had to pay for a private visit, otherwise it would take months. After that I had to pay for another two visits, more or less to understand what is it. Both doctors said, no worry, but it is better to remove it and obviously, if you want to have it done soon, you have to go through private system, since public it takes months, if not years. At this point I'm ready to send to hell all people.

BTW I suffer from migraines, at least 2 days at week, I always go around with some drugs (legal ;-) ) to cure it that I buy by myself since they are not prescriptible under the National Health Service, migraine is not considered disabling.

Tony said...

Hey Jesse -

Congrats on being recognized as a domestic partner - for medicinal purposes only, of course.

Where did you find those wonderful old ads for cocaine potions?

The coca wine ad cought my attention. On my trip to Peru, our local guide got us chewing coca leaves - didn't you try them when you were there?

As the material at this link says (www.cocaine.org/cokleaf.html), it's effective against altitude sickness, among other things. Unfortunately, didn't have any with me on Dead Woman's Pass.