Thursday, April 16, 2009

Hater-Ade!

I got such a spike in traffic when I posted about being on set with Aniston----such an incredible spike---from sites dedicated to pop culture. This reminded me why I don't write about pop stuff, and why we as human beings should stop our obsession with it. I backtracked the links and found the most insidious displays of cyber-hate.

Thousands upon thousands of anonymous trolls are still ranting and raving about Aniston ("X") versus Jolie ("Grim Reaper"). Presumably these posts were written by adults. Presumably. It's truly incredible to think that people have nothing better to do with their time. Why all this truly irrational hate? I believe that sick people want to see other people in pain.

Or maybe it's just too easy to get away with?

My friend, blogger Kenneth Walsh recently wrote about how anonymous cyber hate forced him to disable anonymous comments and make posters accountable with a name and an email. Having been anonymously trashed myself (and written about it), I got the best theory from a commenter who gave quoted me the fuckwad equation:

Decent person + anonymity + audience = total fuckwad!

We can do better than this. Check out this Ad council piece, and let's delete this equation.

1 comment:

Sancho said...

Ahhh, that was me that posted that a while back! =) But I can't take the credit, it was artists/gamers/bloggers Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins of the site Penny Arcade who came up with it. Better known as John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory I find it particularly applicable to the day and age we live in. Also, glad you enjoyed/remembered it! =)