Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Unstoppable LOOTERS!

A total of what? 9 Broadway shows close this month alone. Friends are increasingly out of work. The trickle down effect means that the freelance jobs I usually pick up are vanishing. The people who hire me have lost their jobs. My Playgirl gig is gone, as is a very well paying, regular styling job.

In New York, a lot of people are feeling like suicide.

Take a look at 23 year old Evelyn McHale, below, who plunged off the Empire State Building's 86th floor observation deck in May of 1947. She landed on a limousine. Look how composed death is compared to the shrieking terror of life. Life, as exemplified in Evelyn's last few seconds.

Wrapped in metal, so serene
If Evelyn McHale had lived and gone on to birth a man or woman that would hire me to write and star in my own travel show then she may have had a big effect upon my life. Otherwise, this is as remarkable as it gets between me and Evelyn. If she hadn't leapt to her death in 1947, she would have no influence on my life at all. She also wouldn't inspire based-on-fact fictional stories about her end days. All said, I like the idea of taking an evocative photo like this and creating a beautiful story to surround it.

This photo is all that was meant for Evelyn. Which is a lot more fate than many of the rest of us can expect. Many of us who choose instead simply to linger...in quiet desperation. Yes, I've seen Revolutionary Road.

My friend Danny who lost his job told a mutual friend,
"I guess I'll just live more frivolously."
"You mean...frugally?"
"Yeah, that's what I meant! Frugally."

It's important to keep a sense of humor.

So where has this multi-trillion dollar bailout gone? Who has it benefited?

I knew from the beginning I never liked the smell of this bailout 'stimulus' package. It reeked, but I couldn't articulate why until I read this Stephen Moore column in the Wall Street Journal. He compares it to Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged. In that fiction, incompetence is rewarded while the producers, the do-ers, the inventors are penalized. All in the name of "the common good." I see why Dagny and Rearden and Galt chose to run away.

2 comments:

Michael C said...

Back of from the Ayn Rand!!! What I got from reading her were that some people were smarter, better looking, more athletic, and richer than the rest of us - and that they should naturally be in charge over the rest of us mortals.

Anyway, recessions don't last forever. It'll be rough for awhile, so hang tough and good luck.

The Neighbors Will Hear said...

I think the only thing you can legitimately learn from Ayn Rand is that she had no business writing fiction.

Also, her philosophical descendants are the people who landed us in the financial crisis in the first place.