Thursday, January 08, 2009

Forgotten Queen Canberra

You know when you study the world's countries and their capitols? And there's always that one that doesn't make any sense? Like, Canberra. Capitol of Australia. Why?

Out of all the magnificent landscapes and seascapes, they pick this no-mans land for the nation's capitol. Once again, no constraints = no charm. On the upswing, I'll bet the capitol city's design looks great from the air!

I'm among the few tourists to brave Canberra
In the photo above, you can see people walking on top of the parliament. It's symbolism--get it? The government is never above the people! When I was in Berlin, I toured the Reichstag which is made of glass, so the people can see into the workings of the government. Get it? Transparency!

I guess that's the latest in architecture: Metaphor. At this rate, I half-wonder if old Obama won't re-do the US Capitol in recycled laxatives, in hopes congress may pass something during the next administration.

3 comments:

The Blackout Blog said...

My study-abroad coordinator wanted me to attend some school in Canberra. Every Australian I told that to used the word "dreadful".

Oh, and I might steal that line about the US Capitol and not cite my source. Just so you know.

Matt said...

Bill Bryson said something to the effect that Canberra is where culture goes to die. Something like that. I know that there was something to do with death in there. Canberra always made me think of what a city would look like if it were completely designed by Ikea.

The Blackout Blog said...

OMG! Matt, that's perfect!

Not that I've ever been there, but it's ridiculously fun to say!