Monday, November 24, 2008

A Cobbler's Wet Dream!

I was up in Toronto on a press tour over Halloween. Check out my write-up on the best of Toronto on my recent post at Gay List Daily "I can see Toronto from my house!"

The gayest thing I actually left off the list. I just couldn't sum it up with on picture and 100 words. SO here it is. Toronto's Bata Shoe Museum. I mean, work the runway in these, sweetie!

For navigating the sands of Ipanema, a subtle platform flip-flop
Be the town-envy when grocery shopping in this dainty heel.
Something for the foot-binder. The ideal female foot size in China was 3 inches.
The above design also comes as an ankle boot, for weathering the great wall in winter.
This frilly ancestor to the modern toe-shoe is a must-wear while washing dishes.
Native americans shined in porcupine quilled bead work. Admittedly tough on camouflage.
Aladdin, eat your heart out.
Holland brings us a mod roller-clog, source of untold twisted ankles

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

here is a link of photos to actual bound feet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnbullas/501815667/

Jesse Archer said...

Anonymous,

Ayyyy! Wow. Thanks for sharing. In the museum, I read that suddenly foot binding went out of style in China, and those who were bound lost social status.

Mark in DE said...

Hilarious!

Mark :-)

Dr. Frank said...

I'll take one pair of each, size 10and I don't care. I'll smash my feet into those China heels regardless if I have to amputate a few toes.

Steven said...

You were up in my 'hood and didn't even bother to give me a call?