Sunday, October 19, 2008

Cruising!

Recently, I flew US Airways, which I do not recommend. You think you're getting the cheapest flight, but then they tack on all sorts of extras. First bag is charged, extra if it weighs over a certain amount; they charge for meals they don't have enough for everyone), and (get this!) they charge for drinks. A can of coca cola is $1. So is a cup of coffee.

One incredulous traveler asked the stewardess if he could have a glass of tap water, and if that would be free. She said yes, and asked if he wanted ice. "How much is ice?" he deadpanned.

It was really pathetic--watching flight attendants degraded into juggling cans of coke with fistfuls of dollars. Bam Bam now calls US Airways the "Greyhound of the skies."

With air-travel in such a sorry state, cruise ships will inevitably reign once again. I'm looking forward to my first cruise (not sure when that will be) but Bam won a lunch/guided tour of the Queen Mary when it was docked last week in Red Hook, Brooklyn. We went with friends Paul and Anita.

I can't remember much of what I learned aboard the Queen Mary, but it would be a blast to do with a group of queens! And soft drinks are free of charge!

Anita jumps ship

3 comments:

Edina Monsoon said...

And what will make flying even more enjoyable?

When they allow cell-phones to be used in-flight.

3 hours of listening to "Hey wassup, I'm on the plane." over and over and over again.

Mark in DE said...

Ugh, I absolutely dread flying, for all the reasons you mentioned and more. I wonder if there are any cruise ships heading to Vegas?

Mark :-)

stephen said...

yikes... flying US Air tomorrow morning to Hawaii,, and back the following week,, better ck the regulations for luggage,,,, mine extra may cost more than the flight.