Sunday, August 24, 2008

Off to meet Burning Man

This morning I'm heading to the desert of Nevada to participate in the Burning Man festival. If you're like me, you've heard a lot about it. It's my first time (and I don't say that a lot), so I'm not sure exactly what to expect.

What I do know is I'm going to be part of Black Rock City, a community of 50,000 that appears and completely disappears on the desert "playa" for one week each year. It's supposed to be life-altering. There's no money (only bartering), no luxuries (no wifi?!), lots of art installations, and at the end they burn a big wooden man.


From the website: Burning Man is an annual experiment in temporary community dedicated to radical self-expression and radical self-reliance.

Awesome!

My bags are so full of self-expression that I forced myself to remove a pair of platform heels. Taking them out, I realized this was the first time (another first, what is this?) I removed a pair of heels from my pack for the sake of space. I must be getting older.

Then again, I could ruin a good pair of hooker heels in a place where radical self-reliance means that showers are replaced with wet nap wipes.

Wish me luck!

See you on the other side...

7 comments:

Tony said...

Hey Jesse -

From what I've seen ( a documentary and photos) Burning Man is totally wild, and clothing optional. Hope you packed some suntan lotion to cover those parts of yourself you choose to express. Looking forward to your report. Take care.

Liska27 said...

Have an awesome time. Can't wait to hear what happens...

XOXO
Melissa & Jon
And "S" too.

Lucky Pierre said...

My partner and his best friend are there. I wish I had the "address" for you. They build a shower at their encampment, and as you can imagine are quite popular as a result.

Anonymous said...

Other videos of BM that you might find of interest - http://www.redux.com/playlist/burning_man_101

Jose Antonio said...

Hi Jesse, tony is right, in everything.
I've seen the movie On the Bus, 2001, where a group of gays go to the Burning. I recommend you. Is the paradise for you: clothing optional, can wear whatever you want, nobody say anything, have sex with whoever, any time. why don't do a documentary next year?

Anonymous said...

miss reading your blog,,,,, can't wait until you get back to hear "all the details" ..

stephen m.

Edina Monsoon said...

A 19 year old gay student was murdered on 15th street in Chelsea at the weekend. Perhaps this isn't the forum to post it, but I just wanted folks to know if they hadn't heard it. The poor chap.

http://tinyurl.com/5ktao6