Thursday, May 01, 2008

Another Fall from Grace

Crunch Gym has these posters staring me in the face: "No Judgements" and I'm such a spelling nazi, I can't even look at them. Every day I judge Crunch Gym for not knowing there is only one e in judgment. Makes me crazy.

Anyhow, I'm on the treadmill today, which I never am. I run outdoors, even if it's raining. It's an Oregon thing. But today I got on that treadmill, and tried to show off. I put the speed way faster than anyone around me, put the incline to 3, and grooved out to a dance remix of Bridge Over Troubled Water. It's Hannah Jones, (Mary's in Deep Water) mix, and you have to have it.

So I am totally rocking out on that treadmill, racing fast, singing aloud: "When you're weary, feeling small...." moving my neck, and closing my eyes to give the impression of real soul, when what? Wham, bam, boom! I flew.

I flew back off that treadmill so fast and landed flat on my ass, like I'd just tumbled around in the waves and got coughed up onto the surf. Landing, naturally, like Brigitte Bardot in And God Created Woman. Or so I like to imagine.

So what did my fellow Crunchers do? Point and laugh? No, they have been indoctrinated in misspelled non-judgment. They stopped and asked if I was okay....without even giggling! I thanked them, got back on the horse, put the speed even higher, and laughed my head off.

3 comments:

Dtown S said...

Oh my god! I was just on the treadmill last week and thought to myself, "One of these days I'm going to mistep..." (is there another s in that word?)

I just lived vicariously through you at that moment, and I'm so happy you got back up and laughed. It showed your genuine character.

Joe Moore said...

I used to be lazy and instead of taking my dog out for a walk I'd put him on the treadmill and let him run. He loved it!

That's my only treadmill story. I love yours though. I agree with the other guy, it's good you got up and went back to running. Shows you have character.

Mark in DE said...

I thought you were going to say that after landing on your ass, you looked at the fellow Crunchers and, in your best Pee Wee Herman voice, said "I meant to do that."

Mark :-)