Monday, April 14, 2008

Why I left LA

I used to live in Los Angeles, and there's something about Southern California. I remember it briefly when I first arrive and put a key in the ignition because in Los Angeles, you get in your car, and it's like your own little home away from home. You put on your music, you've got space, and wheels. It's unbridled freedom: you can go anywhere!

You are footloose and fancy free until, five minutes later, you get caught in traffic on a bipolar freeway like the 405 which could easily be crowded anytime day or night. Or you get stymied on a side road, and that's when you realize that, much like people, there are only about two streets you can count on. These are San Vincente and Fountain (in that order). If you are not on either of these two streets, you will slowly and dependably develop high blood pressure.

Living in Los Angeles, high strung people like me grow silently insane inside of that little pod, honking and extending middle fingers, because despite being comfy in your own little home away from home, there is absolutely nothing you can do about your external situation.

At least in NYC if the bus or the subway is too crowded I can just get off. I can get off and walk and feel that no matter how much slower I may be going, at least I'm doing something about it.

Nothing generates peace of mind like doing something about it.

3 comments:

ChadDarnell said...

I love that quote... nothing creates peace of mind like doing something about it.

I miss your face already. Take care!

-C

Joe Moore said...

I have to agree with you there. Being a driver too is tough because when I have clients in the car I can't flip people off or scream like a Yetti. Traffic is def. LA's biggest downfall.

Mark in DE said...

Its interesting that you realized this about yourself and chose an environment better suited to your personality. Although I would imagine leaving LA might be hard for an actor.

Mark :-)