Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Jesse Archer, PHD (ecophysiology)

So I'm over at my friend Trent's house, and I see his perky pink pet which really freaks me out. I guess you could call it a cat. It's a hairless cat, with big eyes and pink all over. Pink--like a fetus, but dry. Trent says his other friend has a hairless cat that is blue.

I wonder why we're always looking to outer space for aliens --so little fascinated with the absolute otherworldliness of earth. When's the last time you marveled at the micro-world beneath the grass of your own front yard? Underneath the ocean waves, it's outer space. In the rainforest, each beautiful organism has another beautiful thing embedded upon or within it.







The aliens, they are here!









I've got this pipe dream about being a biologist. I think in a parallel universe I am a naturalist out there in the tundra studying one specific species of lichen for my entire life. Just being the complete expert on it. Know its taxonomy, its molecular makeup, its favorite foods and how much sunlight it prefers. I'd be the one person people go to when they need any sort of information about this lichen. I find that noble. In many ways, on many levels, I could be quite content with that life.

Instead, I became a gay party boy. Hardly a consolation.

Maybe next life?

2 comments:

Tony said...

OK, so in this life (at the moment, anyway), the PHD after your name stands for Pretty Hunky Dude, instead of Doctor of Philosophy. But if you really wanted to be an ecophysiologist - totally cool word (and specialty), BTW - you still could, couldn't you?
I found a quote from old Wordsworth that may apply:
"Nature never did betray/The heart that loved her."

Mark in DE said...

The life of a biologist, at least as you describe it, sounds very linear and entirely too focused. I would find that boring.

Now, gay party boy has all kinds of texture and topography!

Mark :-)