Thursday, April 24, 2008

An Elephant Never Forgets

My ex boyfriend "Zane" lives in Palm Springs. He just opened a swanky new restaurant called The Tropicale. If you're ever in the desert--eat there. The food is fantastic and the decor is old style Palm Springs. Plus, the drinks are stiff. Zane threw us a party at the Tropicale for the opening of our film.



Zane's fruit fly and mutual friend Michelle supports the Tropicale!



I stayed with him Zane for a few days afterward. We're friends now, but things haven't always been good between us. We were co-dependent together for most of the 90's. We tried to kill each other on three different continents. If you've read my book, You Can Run, you know Zane.

Zane has the book, and because he's scared of what he knows I say inside, he claims not to have read it. How can you not read a book written basically about you? I get the odd feeling that Zane has read it. He just doesn't want to talk about the past.

But one night in Palm Springs we got drunk and did.

He apologized for leaving me to sleep alone on the beach in Miami. After traveling two years in South America, I couldn't find a place to stay. Ranz was staying in South Beach with a friend of his, some old trick. I flew in from Venezuela and wandered around grimy, lugging my big tatty pack, and couldn't find anywhere to stay. Everything was booked. Then I ran into Zane on the street. He was with that trick. I thought I was saved, but he left me stranded.

Last week, Zane apologized for what happened that night. I thanked him for a fantastic ending to my book. "I can't believe I left you," he said. "To hang out with...?" Zane thought about it. "I left you to go out with a person whose name I can't even remember."

I only met that guy once, briefly, on the sidewalk of South Beach. It's been 7 years. I didn't tell Zane, but I do remember.

His name was Benny.

6 comments:

Joe said...

Thank G-d he apologized. When I got to that part in the book I thought he was such a prick for doing that! I admired your composure, and I'm sure that had I been in your shoes there would have been words.

So that's good...it did make a good ending to the book, and a "closure" so-to-speak of the relationship, but at least he feels bad about doing it.

Mark in DE said...

Okay, now I've DEFINITELY gotta get your book.

Its nice how time can help people see the error of their ways, and if they're decent, they'll apologize.

Mark :-)

yet another black guy said...

wow, that must have really scarred you because you still remember his name. plus, it was the final act that made you leave him. yay, Dippy! i wonder if me and my ex will ever be able to have a civil meeting in the future.

Anonymous said...

trying to catch up on your blog,, just got back from Hawaii,,, WOW,, I just finished your book before I left... I cried reading that last chapter..it was horrible how you were treated by him...yes,, very good closure! Forgive but don't forget!

your fiend- Stephen ( Az)

Anonymous said...

trying to catch up on your blog,, just got back from Hawaii,,, WOW,, I just finished your book before I left... I cried reading that last chapter..it was horrible how you were treated by him...yes,, very good closure! Forgive but don't forget! (sorry Zane)

Stephen ( Az )

Anonymous said...

"Zane" Good night Jesse, It is late, but I had to mention we have reservations for dinner at that great place where we met, The Tropicale. Tuesday, June 24th we will celebrate our 34 years together. We havn't killed one another (yet). Almost embarrasing to admit the age it takes to achieve such a ? landmark, but what the heck! movie nut.