Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Out April

April's issue of OUT magazine is here. It's the transsexual issue, and it is TRANSTASTIC. 2008 is the year of the trannie. They are everywhere! And I'm all for inclusion.

The articles in this issue are fascinating and insightful: Transfags? Vaginal reconstruction? Transexy?

Most of it left me feeling uneasy, a bit queasy, much like I imagine even open-minded people felt about gays way back when. Bravo to OUT for providing such a mind-expanding read. I feel more aware already. And yet somehow more confused.

One of my favorite performers, the amazing Candis Cayne, says in her interview:

"your sexuality and your gender are two totally different things and they don't correlate at all."

If this is true, and transsexuals are not the gender of the genitalia they were born with, then they are heterosexual. Right? Which makes me wonder why they're lumped in with the gays?

My column this month had nothing to do with transsexuals. It detailed a very uncomfortable situation I had at a public toilet. A total stranger started talking to me about football. At the urinal. It was the straightest thing ever.

Some people have said that I'm perpetuating stereotypes by insulting football because there are gays who like football. Maybe Out Magazine should dedicate an issue to them? Tranny fags and football fans. Now that's all-inclusive.

8 comments:

You said...

It was a great article. NOBODY should ever speak to ANYBODY at a urinal. EVER.

C said...

I think I have gotten better with age at peeing in a public restroom. The anxiety has lessened. I also like to look around and compare myself to other guys in the men's room. I take a quick glance over, especially if I see a larger cock. That is a guy who is almost fully erect when peeing. I myself don't get hard when I take a pee. I usually just hold my cock and balls and go. I shake it off a couple times and always wash my hands afterwards. I believe in good hygiene.

Tony said...

Dear Diva [as promised] -

Looks like OUT magazine and the New York Times are both observing the year of the trannie. Last Sunday’s NYT Magazine has a long article (“When Girls will be Boys”), profiling a transgender person who entered Barnard as a woman and then came out as a transmale. The article discusses the dilemma cases like this pose for single-sex colleges, but also names academics who have conceived of gender as a social construct, distinct from both a person’s sex and sexuality, just like your quote from Candis Cane.

“Rey,” the transmale profiled, and his girlfriend, who defined herself as Lesbian, [quoting from the article] “ see themselves as genderqueer rather than gay. For them, sexual orientation is fluid. Like some of their peers [they] want to be - and sometimes imagine they already are - part of the first generation to transcend gender.”

How about that? Talk about mind-expanding.

Jesse said...

Hey Tony, thanks for that insight. Sexuality should (and honestly is) fluid, but gender transcendence? That's a lofty goal.

Tony said...

Jesse -
Yeah, as we currently use the term "gender" (to refer to sex-based categories, according to the dictionary), I'm not entirley sure what the young people in the article mean by "transcending gender." It seems like extremely difficult thing to understand.
But if gender is merely a "social construct," as the academic gender theorists quoted in the NYT say, if it's merely a "label" applied to a one group of people by another group, then if we change the construct or the label, then maybe we've transcended gender. But I don't even know if that makes any sense, because we still have the biological realities to deal with.
Maybe all we can do is appreciate the diversity of nature, however it's labeled.
(Sorry for the pedantic rant, but you started it with your stimulating post.)

Jesse said...

Tony,
I think that if transcending gender has anything to do with allowing me to walk down the street in 4 inch pumps without anyone giving me a second glance, I am one hundred percent in favor!

XXX

Tony said...

But Jesse, do you really mean you don't want someone to give you and your fabulous pumps a second glance? I certainly would.

Jesse Archer said...

Point taken. An *approving* glance is always appreciated!