Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Brief Candle

In 1997 I was living in Los Angeles in a house with, among others, director Bryan Singer. At the time, he was working on his second film Apt Pupil. The film starred Ian McKellan, and a young upstart named Brad Renfro. I saw him on set, and one morning I found him in our kitchen and we had a long chat.

Brad was bright, engaging, and totally transparent. I remember he told me he was discovered while serving time in juvenile hall. He was only 15.

I hadn't heard his name in years, until yesterday when I overheard a stranger say "Brad Renfro is dead." Apparently heroin related. He was only 25.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I heard of his death, my reaction was of disbelief and shock. However, when I heard of his drug use, I had no sympathy. Life is not easy, and we need not make it more difficult with drug and alcohol abuse. This young man had many good things to live for. He should have had the discipline and resolve to prevent his demise. Still, may he rest in peace.