Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A Wonderful Life

Merry Christmas! Merry everything!

I took Bam and a few friends to see "It's a Wonderful Life" where it's playing at IFC Cinemas on the BIG SCREEN. I see new things each time I watch this classic. I also get more maudlin with each viewing. But it's got a great message I don't mind seeing every year.

Life doesn't go as we plan it, but it's a wonderful life! Each of our seemingly unimportant lives have huge, often unseen, impacts on so many other lives. At the end of the film, George Bailey's guardian angel leaves a note inside a copy of Tom Sawyer. It reads:

"No man is a failure who has friends."

Ain't that the truth.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in mid to late stage AIDS, with lots of complications and side effects to deal with.

I've been at a point for sometime of half wishing it would all just be finally done. However, I have to say that one of the things I will really miss when the time does come is your blog.

Since discovering it a few months back, I've read every word on it. You keep me endlessly amused, and often, laughing hysterically with chuckles that last throughout the day.

Aside from entertaining me - spiritually I take some solace in reading what you're up to and knowing that life, in all its insanity and beauty, just keeps on going.

Advice from a dying man to you, Jesse: Be nice to Bam. Any man who would raid your re-gift stash for good underwear but save the tag for you is a keeper. And .... he understands the value of a Gucci cock over a Walmart one.

I send both of you best thoughts and wishes for totally wonderful lives.

Anonymous said...

the comment above is humanity at its perfection.

Jesse Archer said...

Dear Anonymous,

I'm relieved to know you're out there. Thank you.

And I'll take your advice.

Yours,
Jesse

Anonymous said...

Jesse,
This is so cool that you mentioned "Its a Wonderful Life". I once said I considered you one of the most successful people I know, much to your surprise. Well, I actually had George Bailey in mind when I said that. You are loved and respected by all who know you. You also have such a postive effect on many people, some you don't even know! Here's to Jesse Archer - one of the richest men I know. Your friend Jimmy

yet another black guy said...

i wish i had some infinitely deep comment to make as well besides Merry Christmas and good will toward all.