Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Return

A Four Letter Word won the award for "Best Screenplay" at Outfest this past weekend! Woo-hoo! Casper Andreas, my co-writer, conspirator, and collaborator was thankfully in attendance and accepted it for the both of us because, "Jesse is having dinner with his ex-boyfriend." which sounds like I had something better to do, but really I had no clue or warning we were up for winning anything. I didn't even have a pass to attend the ceremony.

The inscription reads:
For its creativity, honesty, human and insightful depiction of the complexities of gay relationships --

the Grand Jury Award for Outstanding Screenwriting goes to:

Casper Andreas and Jesse Archer for A FOUR LETTER WORD


About ten years ago, I lived in Los Angeles. I had wanted to be recognized for my abilities, but found that all the older men who could potentially help me only wanted in my pants. At the legitimate auditions I went to, I was considered too gay. Too gay for even the gay roles! An actual gay actor portraying a gay person is just so...so forward! (Still!) Such authenticity has always been a Hollywood taboo.

Back in the golden days, in the blockbuster musical Showboat, the lead is Mulatto. Lena Horne is mulatto, but alabaster white Ava Gardner was cast instead because then MGM wouldn't have to deal with the scandal that a black woman playing a black role might inspire in the audience. So you see it's nothing new, but I digress. I left LA and traveled the world.

It is such an honor to now return, to be portraying a gay actor in a gay film, and to have won (with my writing partner) the award for best screenplay at one of the most prestigious film festivals in the country. At the party following the ceremony, people congratulated me on winning an "Audi" and I got all excited, I thought I won a brand new car on The Price is Right. Turns out they were saying "Outie" which is the name of the Outfest awards. Oh, ok. No Audi.

No cash prize, either. Just the glory. And that's reward enough for me.

4 comments:

yet another black guy said...

Congratulations!

Pitbullshark said...

Congratulations on the award for the script--it definitely deserved it, I thought the script really was brilliant! It's terrible that you weren't able to go to the ceremony, it seems like somebody dropped the ball on that score, but I suppose if they gave you a pass to the show, that might have tipped you off to the fact that you had won and I guess it always has to be a secret! I think from now on you will just have to go to every award ceremony, because I think the prizes are going to keep on coming your way.

Lwando said...

This post makes me want to cry. Congradulations! You are working so hard and you deserve it. I will never understand the nonsense of "too gay", which sometimes (i feel) is fueled by the "straight acting" langauge in the circles. I am so proud of you and that is such a full circle moment! Keep on keeping on. Loves it!

Bob said...

Congratulations! And thanks for the blog.